When it comes to fashion icons, one person that may often come to mind is Mary J. Blige. When it comes to fabulousity Kimora Lee Simmons is definitely on the radar. When it comes to people breaking barriers, Lil Kim took sexy to a whole other level. During the 90’s, when it came to Hip hop, there was one person that was one the scene dressing some of hottest singers and rappers in the game. From Jodeci to Biggie Smalls their fashion flair came from one woman that added Hip Hop style to an R &B world, and her name is Misa Hylton-Brimm. Miss Misa is a very important part in world of style because she sets the trends.
I had the opportunity to chat with my fashion heroes about what how she became the most sought after stylista and some of the things that she never leaves hone without.
As a bonus, be sure to see what she has to say about fashion Do’s and Don’ts!
YHC: What is your definition of a Stylista?
Misa: My definition of a stylist is a confident woman with her OWN style.
YHC: When did you know that you had an eye for fashion?
Misa: By the time I hit Jr. High school, I knew I had a unique style.
YHC: Do you think that styling is an art?
Misa: Yes, styling is definitely an art, a gift, and a talent.
YHC: How did you get into the business of styling?
Misa: I had an opportunity to style male R&B group Jodeci. My boyfriend at the time Sean Combs did A&R for their first album.
YHC: Did it help that you are in the capitol of fashion?
Misa: Absolutely, there is so much fashion in NY and so much swag!
YHC: You are very well-known for adding “Hip Hop Panache” to R&B with artists like Mary J. Blige, Jodeci, and many others. What was the inspiration behind that?
Misa: Clothes tell a story. I came up with looks that represented the Artist’s swag and complimented their style of the music. These looks became trends. I think of myself as a trendsetter.
YHC: What are some of your favorite looks that you have created?
Misa: Lil Kim “Crush on you” is my FAVE.
YHC: It comes to no surprise that you are in the works of launching a clothing line. Tell us more about Madison Couture. Who is your Fashionista pick of the moment?
Misa: I want to offer my sense of style to the world. You don’t have to be a celebrity to experience my style!
YHC: What are 5 things in your bag that you NEVER leave home without and why?
• Lip gloss- I freshen my lips throughout the day.
• Ponytail holder- Incase I want to put my hair up.
• Perfume- I like to smell my perfume all day.
• Lotion- I don't like dry skin.
• Dior sunglasses- They’re my constant accessory.
• Pictures of my children- I miss them when I'm working!
YHC: Which would you rather?
1) Long hair or short? Love both I have a hair fetish and I'm always changing my look.
2) Lipstick or lip gloss? Both, sometimes I use them together.
3) Silver or gold? I LOVE Both.
4) Makeup or natural? BOTH it depends on my mood and what I'm doing. I tend to only wear make up for photos and TV.
5) Loose or fit? Depends on what I'm wearing. I tend to lean towards fitted garments.
6) Pocketbook or clutch? Any bag is fine for me!
7) Handmade or made in China (on the assembly line)? Handmade.
8) Wedges or stilettos? All I of them… I love SHOES even fashionable flats.
Bonus: Misa Hylton’s Fashion Do’s and Don’ts!
1. DO, wear clothes that fit well.
2. DO, add color to wardrobe. When you feel good, so will other people. It also brightens the atmosphere!
3. DO, be confident. That's a must to complete any look.
4. DO, accessorize. It will make your look POP!
5. DO, be willing to evolve. Try something new with your wardrobe.
1. DON’T, follow every trend.
2. DON’T, be scared to try something new. That's what being a Fashionista is all about!
3. DON’T, Copy other people. Be the best you.
4. DON’T, have your undergarments showing!!!
5. DON’T, wear long white T-shirts!